Tuesday 21 September 2010

Audience Research

I did some audience research on what peoples’ thoughts on music videos were.
I asked four questions to seven different people and got their individual opinions on each question. Hopefully this will help Kim and I to produce the best quality music video which will be appealing to a wide range of audiences.

Question 1
Why do you choose the music that you do?

-          Because I like the sound.
-          Because it appeals to me as a person.
-          It is what I like.
-          The music I listen to depends on the mood that I am in.
-          I like music that matches my personality.
-          I look for music that sounds interesting and that has interesting lyrics.
-          I like bands because they play their own instruments.

Question 2
Do you think music videos make a difference?

-          Sometimes.
-          Sometimes, seeing as in some videos they edit the original version of the song to fit the video.
-          Not necessarily in all music. In pop music it does make a difference because they have to be censored and edited for TV programs such as MTV.
-          No, they don’t make a difference.
-          Yes definitely.
-          Yes they make a difference because they can capture your imagination.
-          Yes, because they can express more.

Question 3
What attracts you to a music video?

-          An intriguing storyline and some dancing!
-           The music, obviously. The video must be clever, fast-paced and well filmed.
-          It must be interesting.
-          There must be a storyline to follow. For example, Basshunter’s songs all have a storyline and they use the same people in the videos. I like that.
-          It depends on the genre what attracts me. But usually seeing the artist showing how they portray their emotions to that particular song.
-          I like videos that have a comedic quality.
-          I like seeing the artist singing in the video, and the video must relate to the theme.

Question 4
What puts you off of a music video?

-          I hate it in hip-hop videos, when there are half naked women everywhere.
-          When videos are boring and repetitive.
-          When there is no point, no story. If there is going to be a story, it needs to be all the way through, there can’t be a halfway point. I don’t think it works.
-          I hate it when the artist is just standing there singing, with no action involved.
-          When the video doesn’t make sense. The video should definitely relate to the song.
-          When there is too much dancing and repetition.
-          When the video doesn’t make sense at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment